In this first installment of a brand new series, I’m joined by my new co-host fiction author Kayla Dawn Thomas
. Today’s topic is Writing Hacks for a Busy Holiday Season.
We all know about the hustle and bustle of the holidays. If you have children, you especially know how in-demand your time can become with school and holiday events. These can make it difficult to get in good writing time. So today, we want to help you find the time to write when time isn’t on your side.
- Writing sprints are set times you create to write as many words as you can in a short span of time, usually 25 minutes.
- It’s best if you turn off notifications/sounds on phone and computer while sprinting.
- Don’t edit your work, just push out your words.
- If you wish, you can try writing sprints with others on Twitter (hashtag #writingsprint)
Setting Reasonable Goals (word counts/pages or scenes edited)
- Set a daily word count goal. This can be large or small.Whatever you know your schedule will allow you to accomplish each day. During this time of year, aim to keep it lower than higher. You don’t want to get discouraged because of your inability to write productively around your family schedule.
- Celebrate small successes. Treat yourself after a job well done.
- Even if you manage as few as 350 words per day, you’ll hit 10,000 for the month.
Notebook or Phone Apps
- Keep phone or notebook handy at all times for writing while waiting in shopping lines, etc.
- Use Phone apps: Most phones have a basic note taking app, but it’s nice when it can sync to your computer so you can copy and paste.
- The words add up. You’ll be surprised at what you can do with small pockets of time. Five minutes here and there throughout the day can yield 500 or more words.
- App recommendations. These are recommended because they have device syncing capability between phones, tablets, desktops, and laptops:
- Evernote (Android, iOS)
- Microsoft Word (Android, iOS)
- Google Docs (Android iOS)
- Scrivener (Android, iOS)
Have cool tips? Post a comment below. Want to reach me? Fill out the contact form on this website. Want to chat with Kayla? You can reach her at KaylaDawnThomas.com